Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Pressing "PUBLISH" And Avoiding The Reviews

Well.... It happened. Whether the book or the cover was ready or not, I pushed "PUBLISH" today. The plain and simple reality is that I need the income from it, and the boost of book buying that I get whenever I put out a new installment of the series.

What was maddening today, though, was that, in the pit of my stomach, I really wondered if the final product was too racy to be considered "clean romance" even if the characters never take off their clothes in front of each other. The premise is that they are attracted to each other and do a lot of dirty talking before giving in. Yes, all of that is natural and healthy, but was it enough to spin a book?

The thing is, in a series, there will always be one or two stories that don't quite add up to the angst of the others. I fear this was one of those times. The next one is in a different category when it comes to that. (Yes, there is a tease at the end.)

There is always a chance to revisit a published work later (and a definite opportunity to put a new cover on it), and make necessary changes. The problem is knowing what changes to make. That usually involves reading the reviews.

And just like in my other artistic endeavor, classical music, avoiding the reviews is a good thing. No one wants to read trash talk about what amounts to their baby, even if reviews - good ones, anyway - are how new readers find new authors. Good reviews are always appreciated, so are politely honest ones. Snippy and snarky ones, not so much

So, today I pressed "PUBLISH" on Talk Dirty To Me, the first book in the second half of the Turn My Head series. Now the waiting begins as the distributor takes it the rest of the way.

The first six books of the Turn My Head series are:
Turn My Head – Adam Pernoud and Mae Jones
Break Through – Ben Pernoud and Darcy Platt
Third Time’s the Charm – Christian Pernoud and Sarah Jane Rappaport
Conflict of Interest - Damian Pernoud and Margot Dolan
Romeo Night – Ed Pernoud and Beth Hartke
Last Man Standing – Francis Pernoud and Rosemary Fallon

No comments:

Post a Comment