Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sketching



Now that life is back to normal, whatever that is, and this writer is back home and working after over two months of chaos, work has taken a new path.

My sister and I were chatting about, of all people, Jo Rowling and how impressive it was that in her seven tomes - and those last four were tomes - of the Harry Potter series, there was not one plot inconsistency. Being a pop culture junkie, my sister said, that's because she had the whole series sketched out before she started with detailed character studies. (Sis actually read up on this.)

Well, of course it is, because that is the way we are supposed to write fiction, right?

Yeah, some of us started our fiction writing careers by flying by the seat of our pants and making it up as we went along. The problem with that is that at certain points of the writing process, I had to go back and fix plot points before publishing, especially in book 6. After a while, all the details start getting confused, and things like how someone died change.

Hence, writing it all down.

So, now that my task is editing book 7 (Talk Dirty to Me) so that I can publish it soon, what do I spend an hour doing? Sketching out the ideas for the next series which won't see publication until 2019. See, I've only got three more first drafts to write in the Turn My Head Series, and I was fretting about which way to go next.

A page and a half of notes later, I now know the answer. The second series will need some time to sketch out and incubate, and hopefully will have some different issues in American life and dating surface. Finding the right person really can be difficult, and sometimes, the right person falls in your lap.

Back to Talk Dirty to Me, and Ryan Fallon and Josie Miller. How long can they talk a good game before actually giving in? Everyone will find out soon!

Turn My Head Series

Book 1 - Turn My Head (Adam and Mae)
Book 2 - Break Through (Ben and Darcy)
Book 3 - Third Time's the Charm (Christian and Sarah Jane)
Book 4 - Conflict of Interest (Damian and Margot)
Book 5 - Romeo Night (Ed and Beth)
Book 6 - Last Man Standing (Francis and Rosemary)

In production

Book 7 - Talk Dirty to Me (Ryan and Josie)
Book 8 - High Maintenance (Mickey Dolan and Tara McKenzie, a new character)
Book 9 - No Way Out (Sean Dolan and Marianne Drummond)

3 more will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment